UW launches Wisconsin Idea Scholars program to shed new light on state issues

A new program launched Friday aims to foster statewide relationships and promote the Wisconsin Idea by allowing scholars to address issues pertinent to Wisconsin.

Created as part of the 2011-12 “Year of the Wisconsin Idea,” the Wisconsin Idea Scholars Program involves 31 scholars chosen from around the state in discussions about issues significant to Wisconsin residents.

According to University of Wisconsin political science professor Kathy Walsh, who is a faculty member involved in the program, the group includes businesspeople, farmers and others in an effort to strengthen UW’s connectivity to the state.

“We’re trying to connect with the wide range of sectors in terms of different businesses and groups of people in the state, and we’re really listening to what people in the state want addressed,” Walsh said.

Walsh said she played the role of an “emcee” of sorts at Friday’s kick-off event for the program, which took place at UW. She said she also helped choose who to involve and the topics of discussion that will be addressed among the scholars.

Walsh said looking forward, the program will include eight more events at locations across the state where the chosen scholars and others will continue discussion about issues important to their communities.

According to a UW statement, each of the eight “learning days” will be broken into three components: a behind-the-scenes experience at a location, a free public event looking at an issue and a discussion about how UW can address those issues.

Walsh said although she could not definitively say what the topics discussed at future events will be, a few issues emerged as prominent at the opening session. She said in terms of student issues, preparedness for future employment was one of the “bigger issues” discussed.

“From surveys and discussion so far, the big issues seem to be public education, the political climate, health care and jobs – both in terms of how to attract industry to Wisconsin and how to prepare students for the workforce in the future,” she said.

One of the scholars chosen is Phil Burkart, president of Burkart-Heisdorf Insurance Agency in Green Lake, Wis. In the statement, he said issues he hopes to address through the Wisconsin Idea Scholars Program include education and business in rural areas like his own.

“I think people who are in cities don’t necessarily realize some of the struggles of these rural communities,” Burkart said in the statement. “I don’t know the answers, but at least if we put this group of people together, there might be a few viable ideas worth exploring and working towards.”

The program is funded by private donations supporting faculty outreach and public service activities, according to the statement.

Walsh said ultimately the Wisconsin Idea Scholars Program aims to recognize and spread the Wisconsin Idea through fostering more connectedness between the university and the state.

“The intent is to celebrate the Wisconsin Idea and at the same time sort of further it,” Walsh said.