City politics could impact student life, Mifflin party

legaffairs_KF
Members of the Leg. Affairs Committee urge students to take action in defending their tenant rights after a proposal to potentially give police more authority to deem a party a nuisance adopts looser wording and policies. The ordinance would place fines on landlords if tenants are caught in violation of one of the proposal’s criteria.[/media-credit]

A student government committee examined several potential measures Monday night to protect student tenants following recent updates to the proposed Madison Nuisance Party Ordinance.

Rachel Lepak, vice chair of the Legislative Affairs Committee, said the major change in the ordinance is the increase in the number of party elements that qualify as a nuisance from nine to 17 options for police and landlords to choose from.

While the previous draft required a minimum of four of the nine elements to be violated for an act to qualify as a nuisance, with two violations related to alcohol and two related to safety, the current draft requires a violation of only one requirement, Lepak said.

Andrew Bulovsky, a College of Letters and Science representative, said the most recent updates to the ordinance make it more important than ever for the Associated Students of Madison to stand up for student tenants.

“It’s always been important to protect tenant rights, but now it’s even more important and it affects every single student,” Bulovsky said.

Lepak added the committee wants to ensure tenants are protected while also holding landlords accountable.

Bulovsky said the committee currently is partnering with the Tenant Resource Center to create a database that provides recognition to landlords who are willing to sign a pledge that helps protect tenant rights.

Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers said committee members are concerned the ordinance may provide police with too much discretion in determining what is and is not a nuisance, which could ultimately end up endangering student residents.

Because landlords will be fined if a tenant is found to have violated the nuisance ordinance with a noisy or out-of-control party, Somers said committee members are concerned landlords may pass the new fines on to their tenants. She said landlords are also wary that the fines may be negative for business.

Somers encouraged her fellow committee members and all University of Wisconsin students to voice their opinions on the ordinance.

“It’s important that we are making sure students are informed about their rights and which landlords are working for them,” said Somers.

The committee also took up issues surrounding the Mifflin Street Block Party.

Representatives plan to meet with Madison Mayor Paul Soglin next week to further discuss his stance on issues surrounding the party. The mayor came out against the annual event after two stabbings at last year’s party.

The committee plans to share the data which presents the results of student surveys taken about Mifflin with the mayor.

“Students care about Mifflin, and we want to share their support, make sure they see how the students feel,” Somers said.

Committee members also will meet about the block party with the Mifflin Neighborhood Association in the coming weeks.

“Mifflin has to happen, but with changes,” Freshman Rep. Maria Giannopoulos said.

Giannopoulos said the next step is to discuss what these changes are, as members of the Mifflin Neighborhood Association are concerned about potential safety threats.

ASM members and Mifflin Neighborhood Association members will discuss advocating for regulations of conceal and carry permits to promote safety at the block party.

Giannopoulos added she hopes these changes will create a “community focus [for Mifflin] that everyone feels comfortable going to.”