UWPD investigates suspicious package

package_MK
Members of the Madison Fire Department, along with UWPD officers and a Hazardous Material Team, responded to a report of a suspicious package located between two buildings near the National Primate Research Center on Tuesday. The block remained closed for more than two hours while a bomb squad detonated the package.[/media-credit]

The report of a suspicious package located between buildings on the University of Wisconsin campus brought the response of a hazardous material team and police forces to the scene and forced the closure of block around North Orchard Street and Capitol Court on Tuesday.

UW Police Department Sgt. Aaron Chapin said a UW security officer found a suspicious-looking package between the Islamic Center of Madison and the National Primate Research Center on North Orchard Street at 11:46 a.m. The security officer, whose name was not released, then contacted UWPD.

Chapin said explosive detection canines were brought in to search the package but were not alerted of any explosive devices. The Madison Fire Department and Hazardous Material Team arrived at the scene for further investigation and both buildings were evacuated as a safety precaution. The area around North Orchard Street and Capitol Court was closed to the public.

Just after 3:00 p.m., the Dane County Explosives Ordnance Disposal detonated the package. The contents currently remain unknown.

“At this point, we’re not going to talk about it,” Chapin said of the shape or content of the package. “But [the EOD] felt it was in the best interest of the public to detonate the package.”

The hazardous material team remained on the scene to monitor the area’s air quality and take additional steps to ensure there were no contaminants in the area. The street was reopened at around 3:30 p.m.

Chapin also said the nature of the package’s location and the context of the situation, including the package’s position in the area, would be taken into consideration as UWPD continues to further investigate the situation.

“Obviously there’s going to be some additional investigation to figure out what happened,” Chapin said. “We don’t know everything at this point, and there are a lot of resources here that are going to try to figure that out.”

Chapin said neither a suspect nor a motive are available at this time.