Regents: Ward to stay 2 years at UW

The University of Wisconsin System announced Tuesday that David Ward’s term as interim chancellor will be extended an additional year, allowing his tenure to stretch until 2013.

A statement from the UW System said System President Kevin Reilly decided to extend Ward’s term after listening to several key players at UW, including the University Committee, members of the Academic Staff, the Associated Students of Madison and members of the Board of Regents.

The decision was prompted by an initial letter the University Committee sent to Reilly asking for him to consider extending Ward’s term to June 2013, the statement said.

In the letter, the committee stated the university needs a strong leader with a wealth of knowledge and experience during these two years in light of the added flexibilities and money lost in the 2011-13 budget.

“We believe [Ward] offers the combination of visionary, collaborative and consistent leadership we need, and that having his leadership for two years rather than just one will be critical for the continuity for leadership to see many of these changes into the implementation phases,” the letter said.

In an email to The Badger Herald, ASM Chair Allie Gardner said she looks forward to Ward’s extension and the opportunities it may provide.

“With the extension of Chancellor Ward’s interim appointment, I look forward to efforts towards strengthening the communication lines between the chancellor’s office and students,” Gardner said.

UW spokesperson David Giroux said he believes the extension will benefit the faculty, students and academic staff and keeps in line with their requests.

“They all articulated in one way or another that [Ward is] providing very steady leadership at a crucial moment in time and this is a good time to continue that leadership, and that’s what we’re doing,” Giroux said.

Ward has spent more than 30 years at UW, during which time he was chancellor from 1993-2000. He also served as president of the American Council on Education for seven years.

Ward initially accepted a proposal for a one-year term as interim chancellor following former Chancellor Biddy Martin’s June 14 announcement that she would leave UW for a position at Amherst College.