Free flu shots for students offer protection

As the flu season rapidly approaches the University of Wisconsin campus, University Health Services is suiting up for battle by offering free vaccinations for students and staff in Madison.

Free seasonal flu shots will be offered to all registered students, faculty and staff throughout the fall and winter season, a statement from UW said.

UHS Executive Director Sarah Van Orman said students and staff should take advantage of the free shots because of the implications that could come from falling ill with the flu.

“We think flu shots are important for public health,” Van Orman said. “Nice studies have been done at the University of Minnesota that [show], in any given year, a third of students will report negative consequences due to cold or flu.”

She said these consequences could affect not only a student’s health, but also academic progress, especially because campuses allow flu to spread so rapidly.

The free flu shots are paid for by student health fees, but UW employees are able to receive them through their health insurance plan, Orman said.

UHS brings in a separate company, Home Health United, to give the shots for employees, she said. Employee flu shot clinics will be held Oct. 3 through Nov. 10 at more than a dozen locations around campus.

Flu shots will be given until the middle of February, but Van Orman said flu season in Wisconsin begins in mid-December.

Students are reminded to bring their student ID and to wear a t-shirt or a shirt that can be rolled up, the statement said. The first flu shot clinic will be for students only and will take place this Friday at the Southeast Recreational Facility. Students are allowed to stop by anytime between noon and 5 p.m. without an appointment.

Free walk-in flu shots at UHS will also be available to students from Oct. 3 through Nov. 4. and UHS has set up flu shot clinics at a number of other locations around campus, the statement said.

The SERF, UHS, Union South, Kronshage Hall, Health Sciences Learning Center and Chadbourne Hall are among a variety of locations, according to the statement. Students can also make an appointment for the free vaccination at UHS after the Nov. 4 clinic cutoff.

Times for these locations can be found at on the UHS website.