New ticket rule limits reselling

A policy change for Badger football games will restrict season ticket holders from selling their ticket vouchers if they are ejected from games for alcohol-related reasons.

Previously dubbed the “show and blow” policy, the Badger Alcohol Check program requires students ejected or cited at University of Wisconsin football games to come to all subsequent games completely sober if underage and under the legal limit if above 21.

For the fall 2011 season, only the original ticket holder can use his or her vouchers to attend games if he or she receives a citation. This differs from past policy, when students could still sell their vouchers to other students who would then have to participate in the program, according to a campus-wide email sent to season ticket holders.

Ervin Cox, student assistance and judicial affairs office director, said BAC is another way to try to address the alcohol culture during football games.

“We’re tired of talking to parents after students die. We’re trying to encourage more responsible behavior,” Cox said.

The change is an attempt to prevent students from circumventing a breathalyzer test, ultimately improving the atmosphere at Camp Randall on game day and alleviating serious alcohol problems throughout campus, he added.

According to UW Police Department spokesperson Aaron Chapin, the police have worked in cooperation with both the dean of students and the Athletic Department to change the drinking culture which results in negative behaviors.

“We would like to see a reduction in the number of citations,” Chapin said.

Cox said UW has faced criticism from alumni, donors and football players for student behavior during football games. These complaints included late arrivals and obscene chants, both of which could stem from possible alcohol use.

While Chapin said UWPD provides the instruments and space for the dean of students office to operate BAC, the police will continue a prior policy of behavior-based enforcement. Their focus will continue to be on negative behavior and safety concerns.

“We would like to see students drinking more responsibly, and I think with the different groups we have been working with, [it’s becoming both] a reality and a possibility,” Chapin said.