Go Big Read novel to bring immigration issues to light

Slated as this year’s Go Big Read common book program selection, Sonia Nazario’s non-fiction novel “Enrique’s Journey” touches on more than just pressing immigration issues.

Nazario’s non-fiction piece is originally based off a Los Angeles Times newspaper series, keeping in line with the journalist’s background. The novel covers the story of a young Honduran boy, Enrique, who begins the difficult journey of immigrating to the U.S. by traveling through Mexico aboard freight trains, according to the book’s website.

The University of Wisconsin selection committee, however, chose “Enrique’s Journey” for more than just its discussion on immigration, according to Charles Snowdon, a UW psychology professor and co-chair of the selection committee. The book also touches on the repercussions immigration can have on families, especially in regard to the absence of a parental figure.

“We tried to find something [with] issues that could be engaged on multiple levels,” Snowdon said. “One [such] issue raised by the book is parenting behavior.”

UW journalism professor Deborah Blum said she believes parenting behavior to be a neglected but crucial aspect of immigration.

“I think one of the things that gets lost is the point of the human issue. The human issue of immigration is one of the founding points of this country,” Blum said.

“Enrique’s Journey” transcends the bounds of the literary world by moving readers to help those facing similar conflicts. On the book’s website, Nazario describes ways in which readers can get involved by creating jobs, opening schools or sending supplies to individuals aiding others in their struggle north.

“All of these books are about who we are today [but] told by journalist non-fiction writers at the top of their class,” Blum said in respect to the Go Big Read program. “The message in terms of the importance of what these writers are doing is wonderful.”

In addition to drawing attention to the intricate dilemmas occurring in immigration families, “Enrique’s Journey” provides insight to what the future may hold for the U.S.

According to Karma Chavez, a UW communications professor and expert on immigration studies, the current weakness of the economy makes immigration important on a state and national level. Citing past historical trends for immigration and anti-immigration sentiments, Chavez believes this year’s selection benefits students in its direct ties to current affairs.

“The fact we are reading a book that highlights a lot of the complexities of immigration is going to be an eye-opening experience,” Chavez said.

Nazario plans to visit campus Oct. 27, according to the Go Big Read website. During that time, she will hold a talk at Union South along with a book signing.

Students may submit questions they would like answered at the event on the program website, according to Go Big Read project manager Sarah McDaniel.

Students looking for a copy of the book can request a copy through Go Big Read’s website.