Innovators in environment issues honored with UW degrees

Graduating seniors preparing to receive their diploma in a few short weeks can expect to be joined by several notable Badgers receiving honorary degrees for excellence in their fields.

Robert Kastenmeier, who received a degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School and represented Wisconsin’s 2nd district in congress from 1959 to 1991, will receive an honorary doctor of law degree, according to the statement from UW.

Ruth and Kenneth Wright will also receive a joint honorary doctor of science degree for their contributions to environmental innovation and stewardship around the globe. Kenneth Wright previously earned three degrees from UW.

Ruth Wright was a key actor in the open space preservation movement in Colorado and a former legislator. Kenneth Wright wrote a widely-used guide for flood control in urban areas and remains an advocate for water resources preservation, according to the statement.

Faculty Secretary David Musolf said receiving an honorary degree from UW reflects not just a specific achievement in one’s life but a career of extraordinary accomplishment.

“It’s a supreme honor to get a degree from UW-Madison,” he said. “If you look at the list of people who’ve received it you’ll see that.”

The honorary degrees will be presented to the recipients at the spring commencement ceremony on May 13, Musolf said.

Selecting recipients of honorary degrees begins when they are nominated by UW departments to be reviewed by a selection committee, Musolf said. A narrowed list of nominees is voted on by the committee and then sent to the chancellor.

The chancellor then either approves or denies nominees, he said. Those approved are sent to the Board of Regents and finally the Faculty Senate for final approval.

Musolf said recipients typically receive honorary doctors of law degrees, honorary doctors of science degrees or honorary doctors of humane letters degrees. Although it is preferred, he said it is not a requirement for an honorary degree recipient to be affiliated with UW.

UW does not place a limit on how many honorary degrees to award each year, Musolf said, but they tend give less than five. He said if there are enough degree recipients a separate ceremony will be held, however he noted this is unusual.

“We don’t issue a lot of honorary degrees,” Musolf said. “These recipients are individuals who have led extraordinary lives.”