CWC offers group counseling focusing on depression issues

The University of Wisconsin’s Campus Women’s Center is now hosting weekly anonymous support groups for students dealing with the stresses of college and other difficult issues.

In an email to The Badger Herald, Jasmine Morano, who co-facilitates the groups with senior Brynn Freedman, said CWC began hosting group sessions in order to provide a safe and confidential space for students to express their emotions and discuss their experiences in a group setting.

This semester the group is focused on issues of depression and anxiety, though in the past other issues have been discussed, Morano said.

The free sessions are held on Sundays from 5-6:30 pm at the Campus Women’s Center on the fourth floor of Memorial Union. There is no limit on how many sessions students can attend and are open to everyone, Morano said.

The sessions are led by UW students who received training from CWC, not from trained counselors, Morano said. 

The group is directed toward students, Freedman said, which is why outside counselors are not involved. Morano added that the group is a safe space for students.

“We hope to provide students with a unique forum to express their personal concerns, doubts and just general thoughts in a space where they will never be judged or criticized,” Morano said.

Instructor for the department of social work Darald Hanusa said he understands how having student-led groups could be effective, but he thinks a trained professional would be able to respond better.

“I would guess that student facilitators probably aren’t going to have the type of experience that perhaps a professional would have,” Hanusa said.

Morano added students could benefit from discussing their problems with other students in ways they might not with a psychiatrist. Specifically, Morano said, students seem to understand other students in a different way than a psychiatrist would.

Students dealing with mental health issues might find it difficult to admit it and seek help from University Health Services, which is where the support group can help, Freedman said.

Freedman said even students not clinically diagnosed with anxiety disorders or depression can benefit from talking about the stresses of college and will become happier people because of it.

“I think a university of happier people as a whole will make everyone really happy,” Freedman said.