UW student finalist in entrepreneur competition

uwfinalist
Travis Blomberg smiles for the camera after winning an award during a UW business competition. His success at the campus level prepped him for the bigger challenge he’ll face against other Midwestern business students.

Continuing to build the reputation of the University of Wisconsin as a hub for entrepreneurship, a UW student has been selected as a finalist for the regional Global Student Entrepreneur Awards to be held in Chicago.

UW senior Travis Blomberg will compete at the Global Student Entrepreneur Awards, held Nov. 5 where he will present his business, Stripes Officiating Agency to judges in exchange for a trip to the national competition.

GSEA is a worldwide competition that pits student business owners against each other. Each business owner has to give a presentation and then a face a panel for a question-and-answer session.

Blomberg said knowing what the competition entails makes him feel ready for the competition.

“I’m feeling pretty good about my chances,” Blomberg said. “It’s not just about how much money you earn – the competition also considers how much you give to the community and what you give back.”

Stripes Officiating Agency hires sports officials such as umpires and referees who are then hired by others to officiate sporting events. Blomberg formed the business in 2003, but the company was not officially incorporated until 2008.

Representing UW as the second student in as many years, Blomberg said the presence of UW students in the competition is a testament to the dedication UW has for entrepreneurship.

“I’m extremely honored to represent the school,” he said. “I think this shows how much emphasis UW places on entrepreneurship and managing a business.”

In 2009, then-UW student Michael Jurken was one of 30 students to reach the GSEA global finals. UW tied for 14th place in nominations in 2009 with 10.

If Blomberg wins at the regional level, he will have the chance to move on to the national competition, and then the international stage.

Allen Dines, an assistant director in the UW School of Business’ Office of Corporate Relations, said Blomberg’s level of involvement in the Business School helped give him an edge.

“These kinds of programs make the educational experience for our students that much more valuable,” he said. “This university has always been one of the leaders in the entire country in regards to the level of student participation.”