College Gameday coming to Madison

The hype surrounding UW’s matchup with the No. 1 Ohio State Buckeyes just got a whole lot bigger.

College Gameday, ESPN’s three-hour college football preview show, announced via Twitter Saturday night that the program will be traveling to Madison for the game. Play-by-play man Brent Musburger first announced the news during the Florida State-Miami game Saturday night on ABC.

Hosts Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso will broadcast live at 9 a.m. CDT. UW and OSU are set to kickoff at 6 p.m. on ESPN. It wasn’t clear Sunday where exactly on campus the broadcast would take place

This marks the first time Gameday has made an appearance in Madison for a football game since the crew came to town on Sept. 25, 2004 when the Badgers took on Penn State. ESPN’s NCAA basketball Gameday crew did, however, broadcast from the Kohl Center in 2009. Ohio State was the opponent slated against UW that day as well.

So far this season, the home team is 5-0 when the Gameday crew is present at a non-neutral site. Alabama, Auburn, Boise State, Oregon and South Carolina all earned victories.

Gameday’s announcement means they will be in attendance to watch the No. 1 team in the country in consecutive weeks. Last Saturday the crew traveled to South Carolina as the Gamecocks upended top-ranked Alabama. With that loss, the Buckeyes moved up to the No.1 spot in both polls.

Saturday’s game will be just the ninth time the Badgers have faced the No.1 team in the country. Most recently, UW lost to No.1 Ohio State 38-17 in 2007, the first of three straight wins the Buckeyes have had over the Badgers in recent years.