Barrett, Baldwin speak to UW campus before the election

barrett_ZL
Milwaukee Mayor and democratic gubernatorial candidate Tom Barrett compels UW students to vote in the Nov. elections.[/media-credit]

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Tom Barrett and Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., called on student voters to defy expectations and actually vote in the midterm elections at the College Democrats of Madison kick-off meeting Sunday night.

“[Republicans] are so over-confident…because they are assuming young people in this country are not going to be voting in this election,” Barrett said.

Baldwin said one way for students to get their interests taken seriously as constituents in a political district is to show up at the polls.

“Pundits, spin doctors, political experts – they don’t decide elections,” Baldwin said. “We are the ones who decide the outcomes of elections and we decide that on election day by who comes out.”

Barrett said he will be “focusing like a laser beam” to create jobs if he is elected in November.

As he spoke about his apprehension for the economy and jobs in the future, he said his concern stems from worries about his own family of four young children.

As he outlined his plans for office, Barrett found time to criticize what he said are Republican gubernatorial nominee Scott Walker’s plans to aim tax cuts toward corporations and wealthy citizens.

However, Barrett said he was not trying to wage class warfare.

“In fact, I like wealthy people,” Barrett said. “I would be the happiest person in the world if one of my children fell in love with one of their children and they could take care of me when I’m old.”

Barrett also countered with a call for trust.

Some campaign promises will not be possible until higher priority items are taken care of, such as the economy and the $2.7 billion structural deficit in Wisconsin, Barrett said.

The hot-button issue of high-speed rail was also not forgotten, with Barrett describing it as another “issue of trust” between voters and politicians.

Barrett criticized Walker’s plan to take the federal funds for high-speed rail and attempt to reallocate them for highways in the state.

“Does he want that money to go to high-speed rail in Wisconsin or does he want that money to go to high-speed rail in Florida? Because it’s going to one place or the other,” Barrett said.

Walker has been highly critical of the high-speed rail project Wisconsin has received $823 million to complete, calling it a “boondoggle”.

Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., also made an appearance at the meeting, albeit via video, and encouraged students to come out to vote for him.

“I’m extremely excited to see you,” Feingold said on the pre-recorded video. “The students of UW-Madison have always been my backbone in every election.”

Although most students in the audience were Democrats themselves, 17-year-old Lisa Fox said the meeting was still helpful. Listening to Barrett and Baldwin speak allowed her to refine her opinions about Wisconsin politics, especially because she is an out-of-state student, Fox said.

Barrett ended with a call to the future.

“The next election is always the most important election we’ve ever faced, because it’s always about the future,” Barrett said.