UW transportation looking to make cuts

Facing a $1 million budget deficit, the University of Wisconsin Transportation Services will be hosting a number of public forums for members of the UW community to voice their opinions on possible changes and cuts to transportation services.

There will be cuts from programs, UW Director of Facilities and Management Patrick Kass confirmed.

One of these possible cuts to be discussed at the first forum Tuesday regards bus passes. UW might charge UW employees for bus passes they now receive for free.

Kass said he hopes several forums will give employees a chance to provide feedback on what programs should receive cuts. The bus pass program is one potential choice.

“The whole forum is about bringing some information to the campus and talking about different ideas. We’ve had to decrease expenses and make our programs a little more sustainable,” Kass said.

Kass said evaluating UW employee transportation services has been a year in the making, and UW employee feedback will be important in making any changes, because whatever is decided will impact the entire campus whether they drive or ride the bus.

UW spokesperson Molly Coughlin said a bus pass costs $650 a year for unlimited rides, and subsidized rates for employees are currently being discussed to be $50-$300.

According to Coughlin, it currently costs UW Transportation 95 cents every time an employee rides the bus.

Coughlin said it is still important for UW that some employees keep riding the bus, as there is not enough parking on campus for every faculty and staff member to drive to work.

“We’re certainly supporting the bus pass,” Coughlin said. “As it stands, the program is not sustainable. We’re hoping to have people who ride the bus share some of that expense.”

She said one possible option being explored is having only those who ride the bus foot some of the bill. She pointed out UW students pay for a bus pass through segregated fees regardless of if they use it.

Kass said if enough employees come to the forums and say a free bus pass is essential to their employment at UW, cuts would have to be made to other transportation services.

“It’s all a balance,” Kass said.

Professor William Tracy, chair of the University Committee, said the bus pass is a good perk for UW employees.

“I have a subsidized pass and I use it,” Tracy said. “It is great for the environment and community.”

Past practice, Kass said, has been to rely heavily on the revenue generated from parking permits.

Alterations to campus bus routes and evening parking permit for students are other possible changes to be discussed at the forum.

A future change currently being explored would look for the 81 and 82 bus routes to better serve University Avenue and other student residence areas, a statement from UW Transportation said.

The first of four forums will be held Tuesday, April 20 at the Memorial Union and will include a question and answer session and presentation.