Church plans new building

ChurchRendering
Proposals for the new center detail a 14-story building that includes student housing, among other spaces.[/media-credit]

St. Paul’s University Catholic Center could undergo a major improvement in coming years in the form of a complete rebuilding of its facility at the bottom of State Street.

Improvement plans for the 723 State St. location, on the University of Wisconsin’s Library Mall, had come before city staff in recent years, City Planning Division Director Brad Murphy said.

“There was an initial discussion of the proposal and its concepts in 2007, ” Murphy said. “It’s just concept plans at this point, and there’s been no formal submission of plans or requests from city staff.”

Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, said the project’s supporters met todayWednesday with Cieslewicz and city staff to lay out their expectations and hopes for the project.

Henry Hardinge Menzies, the project’s architect, said on his firm’s website the project is intended to include housing for students, an entry atrium, activity areas and a large chapel. In all, the building is expected to reach a height of 14 stories.

He added the owner has asked the building’s design to be informed by Catholic architectural tradition but “adapted to contemporary needs.”

“In order to meet the needs of a growing ministry and better serve the greater University of Wisconsin-Madison community, we are currently engaged in the planning of a new facility,” Rev. Eric Nielsen, St. Paul University Catholic Foundation director said on the center’s website.

He added the facility is currently in its very early stages and no set plans, designs or timeline have been established.

The Wisconsin State Journal reported Wednesday there may be concerns with the proposal’s height, which will be addressed by the city’s Landmarks Commission, regarding its proximity to local landmark Pres House.

“I think it’s an interesting project, and it’s good to see that they are looking to generate some interest in rejuvenating this site,” Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said.

Eagon, who represents the area of proposed development, added the proposal could generate a lot of excitement within UW’s Catholic community.

Representatives from St. Paul’s and the Diocese of Madison were unavailable for comment as of press time.