Man allegedly gropes female student on Langdon

A University of Wisconsin student was allegedly sexually assaulted on Langdon Street last Thursday, the second incident involving a female UW student to take place in the area in recent weeks.

An incident report from the Madison Police Department said a 22-year-old Madison woman was walking alone on the 100 block of Langdon Street around 1:15 a.m. Thursday morning when an unfamiliar man allegedly approached her.

The suspect approached the victim and offered to walk her home.

The suspect put his arm around the victim and when she refused the offer for a walking companion, the suspect began to grope the woman.

The suspect is described as a black male, 5-foot-6 in height with short hair and a medium build. He is reported to have been wearing a black hooded sweatshirt with white writing on the back, black jeans and white shoes at the time of the incident.

The victim was able to yell for help, causing the suspect to flee the scene.

On March 12, another female UW student fell victim on the same block as the Thursday incident. The victim in this instance was robbed of her purse after being sprayed with what police believe to have been pepper spray or mace. Once again, the incident took place very early in the morning.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam said in a UW statement that students should take care to walk with at least one other companion, utilize the SAFEwalk and SAFEride programs offered by UW, monitor drinking levels and generally be aware of one’s surroundings.

The release added students should notify friends of when they expect to leave and return, that if an individual feels they are being followed or targeted at night to head to a well-lit and well-populated area, and to avoid areas such as shrubbery and building recesses which could conceal a potential assailant.

UW and MPD urge anyone with information concerning this incident to contact Madison Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.