Former UW cancer pharmacy head indicted on 25 charges of prescription drug fraud

A federal grand jury indicted a former head of the cancer pharmacy at University of Wisconsin Hospital Thursday on 25 counts of prescription drug fraud.

Former senior clinical pharmacist at UW Hospital’s oncology department Joseph Theisen, 58, faces up to four years in prison for each count of drug fraud if he is convicted.

The indictment alleges Theisen stole 12,240 pills of methadone, a Schedule II controlled substance, from the pharmacy between 2006 and 2008.

On 19 occasions, the indictment states Theisen acquired the pills by claiming to the pharmacy’s Centralized Narcotics Record he dispensed the medication to two patients who were actually no longer living. The indictment added he also knew he was falsely filling the prescriptions when he did it.

On the six other occasions, the indictment alleges Theisen falsely told the CNR he gave methadone to patients under prescription numbers that did not belong to them. Again, the indictment added he knew he was not properly filling the prescriptions.

According to UW Hospital spokesperson Lisa Brunette, no patients were harmed by Theisen’s actions.

Brunette would not comment on the state of the case, saying it is now a matter for a judge and a jury to decide the outcome.

“Narcotic diversion is known to be a nationwide problem,” Brunette said, adding many in the health care industry are affected by it.

Theisen was a long-term employee of UW Hospital, according to Brunette. He began his term working there in 1989.

After discovering and investigating Theisen’s alleged prescription drug fraud, UW Hospital fired him April 26, 2009. She added it was only a matter of several weeks between discovering the fraud and terminating his employment. His license to practice pharmacy was also suspended.

She said though the investigation may have been quick, they still weigh many different factors when determining what kinds of disciplinary actions are best to take.

“It all depends on the circumstances,” Brunette said. “Obviously whenever there’s a suspicion of improper activity, there’s an investigation that goes on and the intention is to make it as complete and thorough as possible.”