UW students in Chile safe

University of Wisconsin students studying abroad in Chile are safe after a massive earthquake struck offshore early Saturday morning.

According to the United States Geological Survey, the Chilean earthquake had a magnitude of 8.8. The Jan. 12 earthquake in Haiti had a magnitude of 7.0. At 21.7 miles below earth’s service, this quake also occurred deeper within the earth than the Haiti earthquake, which was only 8.1 miles deep.

UW spokesperson John Lucas said 15 students from UW are in Santiago, Chile, about 200 miles north east of the epicenter of the quake. He said 12 of those students were studying through the International Academics Program office, two through the school of engineering and one through the business school.

Lucas added 12 students from the University of Michigan were also studying with IAP.

He said all the students were accounted for relatively quickly, though there were two students who they were not able to locate until Saturday afternoon. He said some students were contacted directly through phone or e-mail, some were accounted for by their program leaders and some had their parents confirm their safety.

UW second year graduate student and member of the Chilean Students Association Patricio Mendoza Araya, is from Santiago. He said the area was not completely devastated by the quake.

“Santiago wasn’t affected as hard as what you see on the news,” he said, adding people there are becoming more calm and getting back to normal life.

Lucas said the students do not yet know if they will be coming back or finishing their semester in Chile.

“Obviously we hope that they’ll be able to continue with their study abroad activities,” Lucas said.

He added their university is closed for the week, and after the damage has been assessed, the school will make a decision about whether or not to re-open. With that information in mind, the students and UW will decide to stay there or come back.

Mendoza Araya said he heard about the earthquake from his brother in the form of a mass text message about a half hour after it hit. He added getting in touch with his family was not easy.

“I tried to get a call through like 100 times,” Araya said, adding the power was out in many places for several hours.

By 10 a.m. Saturday, Araya said most Chilean students he knew had managed to talk to their families, and everyone he had heard from is alive and safe.

His family lives close to the university where the students were studying, and he said the buildings are mostly new and ready to handle earthquakes. He said every new building built in Chile must meet certain standards for safety and pass an inspection before opening because of the country’s history with earthquakes.

The CSA will meet Monday to decide the best way to offer aid to Chile, Araya added.

Chilean President Michelle Bachelet reported the death toll from the earthquake has risen to 708 people as of Sunday afternoon.

After the quake, a tsunami warning was issued for Hawaii and other parts of the pacific, but it was later lifted when strong waves did not hit the shore.