UPDATED: ‘Brutal’ assault of UW student reported downtown Madison, investigation ongoing

Suspect arrested Wednesday morning
Herald Archives

CONTENT WARNING: Discussion of rape and sexual assault. If you have been sexually assaulted, or are not sure, there are several ways to get support. View options on campus through University Health Services.

The Madison Police Department is investigating a “brutal” physical and sexual assault of a female University of Wisconsin student on the 500 block of W. Wilson St. in Madison early Sunday morning, according to an MPD report.

Police responded to a call around 3:20 a.m. Sunday after a person living in the area noticed the victim, a woman in her 20s, was seriously injured. She sustained life-threatening injuries and was in critical condition on Sunday afternoon, according to the report. She is expected to survive her injuries, according to an updated MPD press release.

The Madison Police Department arrested a suspect Wednesday morning in connection with the attack. The suspect was arrested on charges of first-degree sexual assault, first-degree reckless injury and strangulation, according to MPD.

Over the weekend, detectives and investigators gathered physical, digital and biological evidence from the scene. Authorities are looking for security system videos in the area from 2 to 4 a.m. All video evidence already submitted is under review, according to the press release. 

City officials seek community input for Brayton Lot redevelopment

In an email sent to all UW students Sunday afternoon, University of Wisconsin Police Department Police Chief Kristen Roman said there will be an increased police presence in the area and she urges the community to prioritize safety.

“We are deeply concerned for this individual, keeping them and their family in our thoughts and providing all possible support,” Roman said in the email.

The Madison Police Department leadership and investigate staff met Tuesday morning to discuss updates to the case.

To share video and information, contact the Madison Police Department’s non-emergency line at 608-255-2345 or Madison Area Crime Stoppers at 608-266-6014. To share information anonymously, visit Crime Stoppers at p3tips.com.

In the email, Roman recommended students download the new BadgerSAFE app for safety resources and incident alerts. Students can also use SAFEwalk, a free service designed for students to have a walking companion on campus.

In an interview with The Badger Herald, Roman said UWPD is thinking of the students first and foremost.

“We know that when it happens to one, it happens to all of us and the impact is great on all of us,” Roman said. “We want to make sure we’re providing support for them and for each other.”

Editor’s Note: This story was updated to include information from an updated MPD press release.

Resources regarding sexual assault and mental health:

– UHS Survivor Services: [email protected], 608-265-5600 ext 3 or self-schedule using Starfish app

– RCC Sexual Violence Resource Center: (608)-251-7273

– National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

– National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224

– Dean of Students Office Restraining Order and Survivor Advocacy Clinic: https://law.wisc.edu/eji/rosa/, 608-263-9574, [email protected] or request an appointment

– Sexual Misconduct Resource and Response Program: https://compliance.wisc.edu/titleix/

– Domestic Abuse Intervention Services: 1-800-799-SAFE or text “START” to 88788

– RCC Sexual Violence Resource Center: 608-251-7273