SSFC approves Wunk Sheek budget, hears Live Free presentation

Native American student organization received a 20 percent budget increase
Grady Gibson

The Student Services Finance Committee met Tuesday night to discuss the budgets of two University of Wisconsin student organizations.

Native American student organization Wunk Sheek’s budget for the fiscal year of 2020 was granted by the SSFC, which totaled to $41,155. This is nearly a 20 percent increase from their budget last year, of which 21 percent went unused.

SSFC approves AHA budget, hears Wunk Sheek budget proposal

Live Free is requesting a total budget of $46,845 for the 2020 fiscal year, a $3,343.78 decrease from the $50,188.78 that was approved for the 2019 fiscal year.

Live Free is a student organization at UW devoted to creating a space for students recovering from substance use and other addictive behaviors. A portion of the budget would go toward a recovery film festival, bringing speakers to campus, and hosting a sober tailgate.

“[The tailgate] was our biggest event ever … we felt that this was a very good springboard event,” said Kierin Barnett, a co-chair of Live Free.

SSFC is set to decide on Live Free’s budget this Thursday.

Correction: This article has been updated to include correct budget totals for Live Free. The Badger Herald regrets this error.