Mayor calls Wisc. legislator ‘charlatan’ for labelling Madison as ‘communist community’

Duffy said city is trying to delay vote recount process
Courtesy of Flickr user Gage Skidmore

Despite facing public backlash and being called a “moron,” U.S. Rep. Sean Duffy, R-Wisconsin, stands by his view that Madison is a communist city.

In an interview with Fox News Wednesday, Duffy called Madison a “communist community.” He also criticized the city for delaying the vote recount process and said the city is deliberately trying to miss the Dec. 13 deadline certifying Wisconsin’s electoral votes.

“It’s a sad state of affairs for these Democrats who don’t believe in democracy and freedom and free elections,” Duffy said.

Wisconsin congressman joins Trump’s transition team

Immediately after the interview, some took to social media to lash out on Duffy’s comments. U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wisconsin, said Duffy should apologize in a video on his YouTube channel.

But Duffy maintained his stance on the matter and said in a tweet that those offended did not understand his sense of humor.

Madison Mayor Soglin called Duffy a “moron.” Soglin said the country is in an “era of lies,” wherein people do not care about the truth but only about what they think should be the truth. Soglin added that Duffy’s resentment toward Madison makes him seem like he doesn’t care about people’s lives.

“I apologize to Congressman Duffy for referring to him as a moron,” Soglin said in a statement. “I should have said he is a liar and a charlatan.”

Here’s what to expect from Wisconsin’s ballot recount

In another tweet, Duffy derided the recount and asked Pocan and U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisconsin, to accept the election results.

Wisconsin’s recount must be completed by 8 p.m. Dec. 12. So far, over 70 percent of the ballots have been counted and show no change in the election result.

Mid-recount update shows nearly no change in election result