Orpheum’s management transfer illuminated ownership struggle

Lucky’s will now be called Sconnie Bar; Liquor license renewed under stipulation that loud music only be played four times a month
Orpheums management transfer illuminated ownership struggle
Badger Herald archives

Following a change in management of the Orpheum Theater, the Alcohol License Review Committee approved a liquor license for DLS Events, which will take over concessions at the venue.

Henry Doane, once co-owner of the Orpheum, opposed the change in alcohol license because there is current litigation between Doane and the other owner, Gus Paras.

Doane said Gus Paras has improperly transferred the property to himself for below market value, and improperly transferred income from liquor sales and fees to a company owned by his daughter, Eve Paras.

This lawsuit did not affect the granting of a liquor license to DLS Events, a company contracted by Live Nations, the live entertainment company that is taking over management and operations.

Orpheum Theater to transfer management

Karen Foley, the Orpheum’s new general manager, said even though Live Nations is taking over management, there will most likely not be a perceivable change in operations.

“Working with the community is really important,” Foley said. “We aren’t coming here to change anything, and to be perfectly honest you could walk by and not notice much of a change.”

Live Nations has already been booking concerts and shows for the venue for the past two years, Eve Paras, the former general manager of the Orpheum, said. 

Gus Paras, current owner of the Orpheum, assured the committee the infamous sign that stands atop the theater will be unveiled by the end of May.

In addition, the Regent Street bar Lucky’s received approval to change its name to Sconnie Bar. The board heard many complaints from neighbors that the bar is too loud and could be heard inside neighbors’ homes. Alcohol and entertainment licenses were granted to Sconnie Bar with the stipulation that loud music would only be allowed four times a month.