Unifying UW diversity plan presented at student government meeting

Angelito Tenorio also announced his candidacy for Dane County Supervisor
Teymour Tomsyck

Representatives from the offices of the vice provost and chief diversity officer presented to the Associated Students of Madison on a unifying campus-wide diversity plan Wednesday.

Diversity plan

Patrick Sims, vice provost for diversity and climate, gave the presentation on a unifying plan to hold all of University of Wisconsin accountable to diversity goals. He said at the same time it enables individual organizations and schools room to pursue these goals independently. Sims said the initiative, titled Retain Equip Engage Lead or REEL Change, offers a broad framework under which all UW entities may negotiate a common, centralized statement.

“There’s going to be quite a few cooks in the kitchen,” Sims said.

Sims expects the finalized wording to be completed by the end of the academic year and hopes it will hold UW more accountable in reaching its diversity goals. Part of this accountability, Sims said, will involve measuring retention rates of minority students in comparison to majority student levels.

County Board announcement

Angelito Tenorio, ASM chair of University Affairs, announced his resignation from the ASM executive council in preparation to run for the District 5 Dane County Supervisor position. He said his decision to run was motivated by a desire to represent the student body at the county level.