Insomnia Cookies to return to Madison

Store will be located on State Street years after graceless departure
Photo courtesy of Flikr user Carl Lender

Insomnia Cookies will return to Madison five years after a scandal-ridden departure, this time establishing a storefront at 462 State St.

The company formerly sold baked treats out of a food truck in Library Mall but was forced to shut down after repeatedly operating illegally and failing to pay employees. The new location will need only one license and offer cookie flavors like Chocolate Chunk, Snickerdoodle and S’mores Deluxe.

According to an Insomnia Cookies press release, the new location will be open some time this winter.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he welcomes the company back to Madison, despite previous difficulties with city regulations.

“It was very difficult seeing them go, I can personally tell you; their cookies are quite addicting,” Verveer said.

Insomnia Cookies ceases on-site vending operations

The company reportedly sold cookies at Library Mall without a permit for the six months before moving between The Towers on State Street and continuing to sell without a permit.

Former Insomnia Cookies employees also reported having never been paid or meeting their supervisors in person, including one Herald columnist.

Best Cookies?: Insomnia

Verveer said the company has continued under the same management and hopes this time they will better adhere to city regulations.