Walker proposes plan targeting federal unions

Plan prohibits unions from receiving employee dues for their political activities
Joey Reuteman
At an expo center in Waukesha, a Wisconsin city 65 miles east of the state Capitol, Walker drew “USA” chants from the crowd.

Gov. Scott Walker unveiled a plan Monday, Sept. 14 to limit the power of federal workers’ unions.

In the plan, Walker said he would prohibit unions from obtaining dues for political activities from employees. Walker said employees pay nearly $1,000 annually in such dues.

“The Constitution protects the right to free speech, and forced union contributions to fund political activities clearly infringe on this basic right,” Walker said in his plan.

In order to further regulate dues, the proposal mandates federal unions must report the portion of dues utilized for political activities. Walker said in his plan unions must disclose details of their expenditures online. These details include total compensation of union officers and trust fund expenditures among other things.

The proposal also abolishes agencies like the National Labor Relations Board, a federal agency that conducts union elections and addresses unfair labor practices. Walker said in his plan the NLRB supports pro-union policies at the cost of fair practices toward job creators and as a result makes organizing elections more favorable for the unions.

“The NLRB is broken beyond repair and should be eliminated,” Walker said.

Phil Neuenfeldt, President of the Wisconsin American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations, condemned Walker’s proposal in a statement.

He said unions were responsible for lifting millions out of poverty and sustaining the middle class while making workplaces safer, more efficient and encouraging growth.

The plan was released in coordination with Walker’s presidential campaign.

According to a Washington Post-ABC News poll, Walker has two percent support nationally.

Walker’s plan proposes making right-to-work a national law as well. He said in his plan that state employees should have the right to decline to join a union.

Unions file lawsuit against right-to-work

Stephanie Bloomingdale, Secretary-Treasurer of the Wisconsin AFL-CIO, said in a statement Walker’s anti-worker policies did not create jobs in Wisconsin and would not help the struggling middle class.

“Gov. Walker’s proposals today are dangerous and are a desperate display of extremism,” Bloomingdale said.

President Barack Obama’s administration requires employers to pay employees for overtime and provide paid sick leave. Walker said in his plan this reduces worker flexibility and wages.

The proposal also prevents union organizers from accessing employees’ personal information and aims to change federal law to ensure unions cannot fire, discriminate against or retaliate toward any employee who reports the union’s wrongdoing.

Walker said in his plan that employees would have to conduct periodic votes to ensure unions are certified in their standards.

“My changes will protect workplace flexibility by ensuring that misguided big-government mandates do not stand in the way of individuals and families,” Walker said.