New UHS clinic to open with lakeshore dorm

When students return to school in fall, they will find a new University Health Services clinic in place, which would accommodate students in the university’s Lakeshore residence hall neighborhood. 

The newUHSsatellite clinic will be located within the new Lakeshore residence hall, Brendon Dybdahl, director of marketing and communications for university housing, said. He said the clinic will be one of many new services, offices and resources housed there.

UHSexecutive director Sarah Van Orman saidUHSfacilities have historically been located inside residence halls, and the closing of the Sellery Hall clinic ledUHSto move its full laboratory services from one side of campus to a more central location.

“We always envisioned we would have another location,” Van Orman said.

Van Orman said with the current location at 333 East Campus Mall,UHSdoes receive a lot of traffic from students, but students on the west side of campus have a long haul to make — especially when sick.

Adding a clinic location to the Lakeshore residence hall will provide students with more access toUHS, Van Orman said. She also said the idea has been in the works for a while.

Open to all students, the added clinic will also help with the rising need forUHSservices, according to Van Orman.

“We have seen a significant growth in student demand for services,” Van Orman said.

The proposal for the clinic began about four years ago when University Housing officials approachedUHSwith the idea. Van Orman said allowances in theUHSbudget as well as open space in the new residence hall have made this idea a reality.

The Lakeshore clinic will be staffed by a nurse practitioner who will primarily provide small services such as pregnancy tests and treatment for ailments such as sore throats, sinus infections and small rashes, Van Orman said.

The clinic will not include a full lab, so students experiencing more serious problems will be referred to theUHSEast Campus Mall location since that location contains a lab where further testing can be done.

Van Orman said she expects costs for the facility to be minimal, since funding will be provided by University Housing and its budget for the Lakeshore residence hall.UHSwill provide staffing for the clinic by rotating its current employees.

Inside the new clinic, Van Orman said students can expect to see a small waiting room and exam room. She said she believes it will be a nice space located in a common area of the building shared by fellow university services.

In addition, Dybdhal said the clinic is only one part of all the new additions of the Lakeshore development, and it will be located on the east side of the area.

On top of its new dining facility, named the Lakeside Market, the Lakeshore residence hall will include other features such as a convenience store, coffee house, conference and multi-purpose room, classroom space, technology learning center, and an on-site Cross-College Advising Service center, Dybdahl said.

Construction on the Lakeshore residence hall has begun and completion is expected by early fall 2012. Students of the 2012-2013 school year will act as the hall’s first residents.