Business school professor loses battle against cancer

An accomplished University of Wisconsin Business School associate dean and professor specializing in strategic management died last week from cancer.

Mason Carpenter died Sept. 22, 2011 at 50 years old. He is survived by his wife and children, according to a UW statement.

Carpenter was the M. Keith Weikel Professor in Leadership for the Business School, in addition to teaching strategic management, according to the statement.

Business School Dean Francois Ortalo-Magne said Carpenter will be missed.

“[Carpenter] was an award-winning teacher, who made the student experience his number one goal and extended his classroom to the world by sharing freely his materials and books,” he said.

Carpenter was also the Business School’s associate dean of evening and executive master of business administration programs where he worked on the school’s MBA program profile, the statement said.

Most of Carpenter’s research focused on strategic management involving corporate governance, top management teams, social networks and global startup management, according to the School of Business website.

He also published several books being used in business classrooms today.

“He was a highly productive and impactful researcher, recognized by his peers for outstanding service to the field of strategic management,” Ortalo-Magne said.

Carpenter’s accomplishments included being awarded the MBA Professor of the Year, being named one of the most popular professors in several Business Week MBA program polls, the Larson Excellence in Teaching Award and another Teaching Award from UW, according to the website.

The statement said Carpenter also worked as an Academy of Management Review associate editor and corporate strategy and governance chair within the Strategic Management Society.

“Mason’s left an indelible footprint on the Wisconsin School of Business, UW-Madison campus and the world. He will be dearly missed and we will remember him always,” Ortalo-Magne said.

Donations to the Carpenter family may be sent to the Carpenter Family Fund, M&I Bank, 7447 University Ave., Middleton, WI 53562, according to the statement.

Carpenter’s visitation took place Tuesday at the Gunderson West Funeral Home in Middleton, according to the statement. A memorial service in honor of Carpenter is scheduled today at 2 p.m. at the Asbury United Methodist Church.