Madison Metro School District close

In a series of state-wide public school closings scheduled for Thursday, the Madison Metro School District was once again forced to cancel classes for the second consecutive day after Wisconsin’s largest teachers’ union urged all of its members to join the growing protests in Madison, Wis.

A statement from the MMSD said the district received reports late Wednesday evening informing officials there would be “significant staff absences” Thursday, forcing the district to close its doors.

The Wisconsin Education Association Council urged all 98,000 of its members to rally at the Capitol Thursday instead of attending work.

The statement said because of “substantial concerns” about the absences in Madison, the Madison School District would be forced to close all of its schools to students Feb. 17.

The statement said the district regretted the decision, but found the expected staff absences caused a safety concern for the district’s students.

During Wednesday’s closing, families in the district complained they had to find last-minute care for their children, requiring a number of parents to stay home from work. 

The district acknowledged a second closing would cause further obstacles for parents and families.

“We realize this is difficult for families because it impacts family routines and schedules and we appreciate your flexibility during these times,” the statement said.

MMSD spokesperson Ken Syke said the community’s reaction has been “all over the place,” with some e-mails from parents very supportive and some very unhappy with the situation.

Though a number of teachers had already called to report their absences Wednesday, the statement said all MMSD staff would still be expected to report to work Thursday.

“Those teachers who called in sick are not going to be paid for the day unless they have a note from a medical provider,” Syke said. “Those who did show up will be paid.”

Syke said it was still unknown whether students would be required to make up the missed days at the end of the school year.

La Crosse, DeForest, Oregon, Milwaukee and Eau Claire public school districts also announced closings for Thursday as of late Wednesday night as a result of WEAC’s request for the walkout.