UHS launches drop-in counseling program

In an effort to give more students access to informal counseling sessions where they can vent about the daily stress and trials associated with college life, University Health Services launched the “Let’s Talk” drop-in counseling program Monday.

The services are free with no prior appointment necessary, and students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis, Associate Director of Campus-Based Services Amanda Ngola said.

Ngola said UHS counseling currently serves about 10 percent of the student population, but the new program aims to help the other 90 percent.

The initiative originated at Cornell University and the idea to start it at the University of Wisconsin originated during a Counseling Center Outreach conference this summer, Ngola said.

The idea behind “Let’s Talk” is that all students experience stressors in college, yet not everyone seeks counseling as a coping device, UHS Director of Counseling and Consultation Services Danielle Oakley said.

She said during the consultation sessions students can discuss anything ranging from roommate drama to relationships and financial issues.

“The program creates a way for students to talk about any sort of issues in a less threatening atmosphere than counseling or therapy sessions,” Oakley said.

The “Let’s Talk” services are led by trained counselor consultants at various times and places on campus.

The current locations are in the Red Gym and Ingraham Hall, which Oakley said provide students with a familiar environment near the center of campus.

Oakley said if one “Let’s Talk” appointment is not enough for a student, the consultation counselor might suggest they seek more formal services and provide them with the information they need to do so.

Following the first day of the “Let’s Talk” program, three students had taken advantage of the consultation sessions.

“We talked to two of the students and they raved about how great it was and how they would have never been comfortable with setting up an actual counseling appointment,” Ngola said.

She added the new service does not take away from other programs and is included in all students’ segregated fees.