Scholarship to honor deceased student

The University of Wisconsin Department of Political Science and School of Journalism and Mass Communication announced the establishment of a scholarship Wednesday to honor the memory of UW senior Neha Suri, who passed away earlier this year.

Suri, a journalism and political science major from Singapore, died in February from bacterial meningitis.

While attending UW, Suri pursued academic subjects she was passionate about, participated in hands-on experience at the Daily Cardinal and focused energy on community involvement, Chair of the Department of Political Science John Coleman said.

To honor the memory of Suri in an appropriate manner, the fund will award a scholarship to a junior or senior at UW who preferably is pursuing both a major in political science and journalism and who shares her dedication to service, Director of Development for the UW Foundation Jennifer Karlson said.

“The memorial scholarship in her name will allow us to support other students who, like Suri, have interests in politics and communications and make the most of the many opportunities available to them on this campus and in this community,” Coleman said.

Suri was an inquisitive and bright student, and it is important to do whatever necessary to encourage students to participate in the same types of endeavors as she did, journalism professor Katy Culver said.

The Department of Political Science, the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and the Daily Cardinal Alumni Association have all contributed $1,000 to the fund, Karlson said.

“We hope to raise enough money from other campus partners to endow the scholarship in the College of Letters and Sciences,” Karlson said.

Karlson added if the fund is able to garner a total of $10,000 in contributions from various donations, an annual award of $500 will be allocated to a deserving student. If the fund receives a greater amount of support, more money will be given out annually.

The recipient of the scholarship will also be asked to send a letter to Suri’s family members in Singapore in order to maintain Suri’s parents’ connection to UW, Karlson said.

Karlson added even though Suri’s family remains in Singapore, the annual scholarship will help keep Suri’s roots in Madison alive.