Annual ‘Souper Bowl’ raises money for local charity group

SouperBowl
UW Habitat for Humanity\’s annual \’Souper Bowl\’ raises money by selling donated bowls.[/media-credit]

A University of Wisconsin student group will make the Super Bowl about more than football with its 14th annual ‘Souper’ Bowl fundraiser Saturday, Feb. 6.

The Souper Bowl sells ceramic bowls of soup to benefit the UW chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

Souper Bowl spokesperson Mitch Holland said some of the bowls were donated by local high school students. These bowls full of soup can be purchased for $15.

Bowls made by professional potters, known as Pro-Bowls, will be available through silent auction, Holland added.

In addition to food and ceramics, the event will feature a variety of entertainment.

A raffle is planned, with the grand prize being a giant ceramic bowl, known as The Souper Bowl, created by local potter Alex Herndon. Holland said other prizes include an iPod and gift certificates to Madison restaurants.

He added UW a cappella group Fundamentally Sound will be performing, as well as two high school rock bands.

In addition, Madisonians will not have to watch the big game to see familiar faces and hear big names. Local celebrities, including First Lady Jessica Doyle and UW Dean of Students Lori Berquam, will be serving soups to hungry patrons.

Holland said the money raised at the Souper Bowl would cover a large portion of the cost of the Madison area’s ninth student built house, adding the group tries to build one house per year.

Previous Habitat for Humanity home recipient Shondra Smith said her life has changed dramatically since receiving her home.

“I have secured my son’s future. I have stability with my son and my life,” Smith said. “I’m just, I’m blessed.”

Smith said she was looking into buying her own home when she was referred to Habitat for Humanity. After going to a seminar and filling out an application, she was chosen for a house. She added she was very grateful to the organization for her home.

“[Habitat is] very helpful to people that have low income and could probably never afford their own home,” Smith said. “It makes them feel proud.”