Regents to talk tuition at UW

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents will hold their last meeting of the semester in Memorial Union Thursday and Friday afternoon, paying special attention to discussion on quality, affordability and differential tuition.

UW System said they strive to provide accessible, affordable and high-quality educational opportunities to Wisconsin citizens, according to released materials.

In a report presented by the Tuition and Financial Aid Workgroup in March 2008, the group said the current ways in which the UW System is implementing various tuition options in an effort to improve quality of education were being utilized effectively.

However, the workgroup also advised universities to move forward with caution in facing new challenges in lieu of expanded enrollments not fully supported by state funding increases.

The report added Wisconsin ranks as the 10th most affordable state in the nation for access to four-year colleges, yet it has a substantial lower ranking for being a low aid state in terms of public/private investments in financial aid.

The board plans to review cost saving options, such as three-year degree programs offered by UW-Stout for fall 2010 and other means of financial aid.

In addition to this, a review of differential tuition will be of much debate.

Differential tuition — the additional cost added to the base tuition amount to pay for student services and programs within that institution — was initiated due to insufficient funds for maintaining a higher quality of education from the state and has been implemented in universities across the system.

UW differential tuition is the only new institutional initiative passed since April 2008 by the board.

In a presentation tomorrow afternoon, Associated Students of Madison Chair Tyler Junger and Vice Chair Tom Templeton will update the regents on the current progress, success and shortcomings of the proposals being funded for the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates.

“We went over and practiced our presentation with Dean Lori Berquam on Tuesday,” Junger said. “Our goals are to give an update on where we stand, what’s been funded, how it’s going and answer any questions the regents may have.”

He said there has been a lot of student input on recommendations, which Chancellor Biddy Martin really appreciates.

He added there have been some problems, especially with the timeline crunch, which they will explain to the board.

“Still, I completely support this. It’s a good thing,” Junger said. “And in our presentation, we’ll tell them that.”

Templeton said 114 proposals have been submitted for the second round, compared to the initial 29, and will be reviewed by members of the oversight committee during winter break.

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said with Madison hosting the meeting, it will be more focused towards showcasing the university. Martin is opening the meeting with a presentation: A World-Class Research University — For Wisconsin and the World.

Giroux said in a statement the tour of the Wisconsin Institutes of Medical Research was canceled for tomorrow due to the severe weather and the start of the meeting would be pushed back an hour to 11 a.m.