ASM postpones Finance decision

ASM_RM
While scheduled to meet Wednesday as normal, ASM cancelled its meeting due to inclement weather.[/media-credit]

With the severe weather conditions and uncertainty of whether members would be able to attend, the Associated Students of Madison Student Council meeting was cancelled Wednesday night.

ASM Chair Tyler Junger said the decision ultimately came down to him and he acted in the best interests of the committee members to ensure their safety and in the interest of keeping quorum for the agenda items.

“It did end up coming down to my decision,” Junger said. “I felt it wouldn’t be appropriate to have the Student Council meeting if members would have a hard time getting there, especially with the weather and Madison Metro being cancelled.”

Finance Chair Matt Beemsterboer said he was disappointed the meeting was cancelled, especially since it was inconvenient to work around the weekend and finals to reschedule it.

He added the Finance Committee had an important agenda item that needed the council’s approval to go through.

Engineers Without Borders applied for a travel grant to Rwanda over this coming winter break and was approved by the Finance Committee for $10,509. Beemsterboer said it was the largest travel grant approved by ASM.

“It wasn’t a unanimous decision — it was heavily contested,” Beemsterboer said. “So it’s especially important to present it to council for their approval. But with the trip coming up, I really hope we meet and get this done for the semester so EWB can plan for their trip appropriately.”

Any finance grant over $6,250 must be approved by Student Council as well, according to Beemsterboer.

Junger agreed the meeting needed to happen before the end of the semester so the grant could be decided on.

Legislative Affairs Chair Adam Johnson said he was hoping to present legislation from his committee telling council members his plans for investigation into the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant.

WHEG is a grant that awards up to $3,000 to students who demonstrate financial need. According to Johnson, there were miscalculations made in the recent budget cycle and more than 25,000 have been waitlisted.

Junger said currently e-mails are being sent around to the council members to work out times when the most members can attend the meeting. He said a rescheduled meeting will mostly likely take place early next week.