Man tries to kill his ex

Police arrested a man Tuesday for attempted murder on the city’s south side in what investigators believe was the result of an ongoing dispute between two women who had a relationship with the suspect.

James Holston, 57, was arrested at approximately 8:15 p.m. Tuesday and was tentatively charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide. After being arrested, it was discovered Holston was wanted by the Madison Police Department on two warrants: possession with intent to deliver cocaine and manufacture or delivery of cocaine.

The victim, 26 of Madison, was attacked outside of her residence on the 2500 block of Greenway View. Holston was dating the victim’s sister and when he began to abuse her, the victim intervened to help her sister and was attacked, according to Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for the MPD.

The victim was hit on the head with a baseball bat and also stabbed multiple times to the back with a small knife, according to the incident report. DeSpain said her injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.

Detectives are still investigating the incident, DeSpain said, who added there were more people present at the scene of the crime. The other woman has yet to be identified.

“There was an attack, and he was part of the attack, but we still haven’t identified the others who were involved,” DeSpain said. “The attack was motivated by two women, both of whom had relations with the suspect. The bad blood between the two women resulted in the violence.”

Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, where the incident occurred, said he spoke to Chief of Police Noble Wray who confirmed a victim was hit with a baseball bat, but said the crime was a battery.

Bruer added he will be completely briefed on the incident today and added the city has no tolerance for crime. He also plans to see if the neighborhood has a history of violent and illegal activity and will pursue action if necessary.

“I think that while there seems to be conflicting information on what occurred, any time we have domestic violence, it’s unacceptable and in Madison, we’re very sensitive to public safety concerns and issues,” Bruer said.