Mifflin battery follows successful block party

A substantial battery on Mifflin Street following the Saturday Mifflin Street Block Party resulted in two men sustaining abrasions on their faces.

The Madison Police Department responded to a call at the intersection of Mifflin Street and North Broom Street after two victims were found. One victim, 22, of Madison, suffered a cut on his head that required five stitches and the other, a 22-year-old man from Oshkosh, sustained a bruise on the left side of his face, according to an incident report.

The incident occurred around 11:50 p.m., and both victims and witnesses reported an escalated verbal exchange between two groups of people.

The report said the victims told police they did not want to fight, and in an attempt to calm down suspects Devon Conklin, 21, and Colin Hill, 23, both of Madison, they were attacked.

According to police, the first victim was punched in the face and hit in the back of the head with a plastic shovel. The second victim was also hit in the head by the shovel and was knocked unconscious.

It is unclear how the suspects obtained a shovel.

A third victim was present and although he was punched, he sustained no injuries, the report stated.

After a couple of chases on foot, both Conklin and Hill were arrested by the MPD.

Conklin was arrested and tentatively charged with substantial battery and resisting an officer, and Hill was arrested on a probation and parole warrant.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he is not very familiar with the case and added he does not know if the incident was spurred from drinking at the Mifflin Street Block Party or not.

“It certainly is a very unfortunate end to an otherwise very safe day Saturday on Mifflin Street,” Verveer said.

Although the case could have started as a continuation of the day’s partying, Verveer added it is also likely the case was a random occurrence.

If you see something suspicious in a neighborhood or witness a crime, call Madison Area Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.