Committee passes liquor restrictions on to Council

Beer_JS
Students may be forced to spring for 6-packs of beer if the ban is approved.[/media-credit]

The Madison Alcohol License Review Committee passed a motion Wednesday to prohibit the sale of malt liquor or beer sold in amounts less than a six-pack of bottles or cans.

Although the proposal received mixed reviews from both members of the committee and meeting attendees, the motion was passed by the voting members of the ALRC in a 4-1 vote and will be moved to the Madison City Council May 5.

Along with prohibiting the sale of liquor in bottle or cans less in less than a six-pack, liquor would not be available for purchase if it is less than 200 milliliters in volume. However, the restrictions do not apply to microbrews, imported beer or fortified wines.

The motion, proposed by Ald. Michael Schumacher, District 18, is a revised version of the license conditions Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, implemented in districts 4 and 8 on July 1, 2008.

Verveer’s proposal was only applied to the 11 licensed liquor-selling establishments in the downtown area, aimed mainly at panhandlers and chronically inebriated persons, according to Schumacher.

“There are people out there who are hurting — unfortunately on the street — who are drunk and don’t know where to go. If they’re not causing disturbances, they usually fall under the radar,” Schumacher said. “We’re trying to prevent people from getting easy access to liquor, prevent the aggressive panhandler from becoming more aggressive.”

He added this ordinance is trying to displace some of the problem so it is less concentrated in one specific area, making it more manageable.

City of Madison Alcohol Policy Coordinator Katherine Plominski said she has looked at national statistics that say destruction of property can be a result of chronic inebriation. She added police service calls, emergency medical services and public perceptions are altered with the presence of chronic inebriation in the city.

ALRC Co-Chair Chet Gerlach said though he supports managing chronic alcohol abuse, it is possible the plan could hinder responsible drinkers who want to purchase a certain amount of alcohol but are prohibited from doing so under the law.

He also argued the motion could be ineffective. A four-pack of wine, which could no longer be purchased under the ordinance, could total 26 ounces, while a bottle of wine could also hold 26 ounces and cost less. It would therefore be easier for people to purchase the same amount of wine for less.

However, Open Pantry Food Marts Vice President Jim Schutz said he was initially skeptical of the plan, but after representatives from the private sector worked with the ALRC and City Council to help develop the ordinance, he is content all stores will be in the same boat.

“It’s not fair [all alcohol providers] are not on a level playing field. I couldn’t sell (less than a six pack) but the individual across the street could,” Schutz said.