Census to create jobs soon

Starting in April, United States Census Bureau employees will begin canvassing the nation to provide accurate address lists for the mailing of the 201 different population census questionnaires.

The U.S. Constitution mandates a census of the population every 10 years for an accurate assessment of the number and location of the people living within the U.S. and its territories. Citizens are also required by law to respond to census questionnaires.

The census population totals primarily determine the allocation of the seats in the House of Representatives. Locally, however, the census data is generally used to allocate federal funding for local programs and services, according to Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz.

“The census data is important especially from a community-planning perspective because the data is the snapshot of the community. It can help aid in planning efforts, such as where to build new roads, hospitals or schools,” Strauch-Nelson said.

Strauch-Nelson added the census is beneficial to the community and taxpayers because it collects accurate information on Madison.

Barbara Weber, senior community planner of Capitol Area Regional Planning Commission, also said there are local benefits of the census data.

“Information is used for identifying the need areas that require more attention, but it also gives the character of the community. A student population, for example, in a community like Madison, is huge, and the census data should [be able to] capture that,” Weber said.

Although the census bureau plays a major role in determining how local funds are spent, $300 billion in federal resources are also allocated to states and municipalities based on census data, according to Muriel Jackson, U.S. Census Bureau spokesperson.

Currently, there are only two census offices open in the state, in Eau Claire and Milwaukee. The Madison area is incorporated under the Milwaukee Local Census Office, along with Kenosha and West Allis, Jackson said.

Although specific information regarding when canvassing of the Madison area will begin is currently unavailable, more local census offices will be open in each congressional district in the state throughout 2009, Jackson added.

Because the population census requires large field operations, recruiting census workers can also create temporary jobs across the state. At Milwaukee office, about 1,300 people were hired to begin canvassing next week, according to Jackson.

“Although the field positions are temporary, they will last about a couple of months,” Jackson said.

She also addressed some concerns regarding the confidentiality of census information.

“We do not share the information. These workers go through security screening. They also take an oath to protect the confidentiality of census responses. We just want the data — we don’t share the information,” Jackson said.

Violation of the oath would result in a jail term of up to five years and/or fine of up to $250,000.

By law, the Census Bureau cannot share an individual’s answers with anyone, including welfare and immigration agencies, Jackson said.