Man robs Park Street gas station

A Madison gas station was robbed late Monday night, adding to the growing list of recent robberies in the downtown area.

According to Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for the Madison Police Department, the perpetrator entered the Clark gas station located at 1129 S. Park St. around 9:45 p.m.

The perpetrator proceeded to demand money from a Clark employee, DeSpain added.

“[His] right hand was placed in his waistband to make it look like he had a weapon,” DeSpain said, reading from the police report. “[He] repeated he wants all the money.”

Mohammed Ehtasam, manager of the Clark station, said he had no recollection of the Clark convenience store being robbed since he took the managerial role.

Ehtasam also said he spoke with the victim on the night of the robbery, adding the perpetrator announced he was committing a robbery at the time of the offense.

“Basically, the white guy game in and asked him for the money and [it appeared] he had a gun in his pocket,” Ehtasam said.

Whether the suspect actually had a gun remains unknown, he added.

The suspect then fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of money from the cash register and headed toward Olin Avenue.

The MPD later dispatched a K-9 track on the suspect; however, the track eventually proved unsuccessful when the dog could not continue on the trail, DeSpain said.

“They did find footwear impressions, then they tracked for a while and they just lost the track,” DeSpain said.

DeSpain added the suspect was described as a white male in his mid-twenties. He is approximately 6 feet tall with gold teeth and a full goatee and was last seen wearing blue jeans.

According to DeSpain, it is unclear at this time whether the suspect is connected to any of the other recent robberies in the downtown campus area.

“That’s something the detectives will look at,” DeSpain said. “At this point I’m not familiar … whether they’ve been able to connect this person,”

Ehtasam said the Clark station was under video surveillance, and the MPD has access to the footage to help with pending investigation.