Obama cancels Capitol event

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama has cancelled a Madison rally planned for Thursday due to the fading health of his grandmother.

According to the Obama campaign, the senator decided to cancel his planned appearances on Thursday and Friday in order to spend time with his 85-year-old grandmother, Madelyn Dunham.

“Recently, his grandmother has become ill, and in the last few weeks, her health has deteriorated to the point where her situation is very serious,” a statement released by Obama’s communication director Robert Gibbs said. “It is for that reason that Sen. Obama has decided to change his schedule on Thursday and Friday, so that he can see her and spend some time with her.”

Dunham, along with Obama’s mother, raised him in Hawaii “from the time he was born to the day he left for college,” the statement said.

The statement added Obama will be will be returning to the campaign trail on Saturday.

Phil Walzak, Wisconsin Communications Director for the Obama campaign, said there currently are “no plans for an immediate makeup” for the event, but more information will be released when it is available.

Walzak said more surrogates will visit Wisconsin in the days leading up to the campaign, similar to events hosted by Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., Arizona Gov. Bill Richardson and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean. Details on future events will be released later this week.

Democrats across the state will continue to work aggressively to share Obama’s message across the state, Walzak said, adding Wisconsin is an evenly split battleground state.

Obama’s rally was originally planned to take place near the state Capitol at the intersection of Main Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.

Although the campaign applied for a street-use permit request for Thursday’s planned event on Oct. 17, the permit was withdrawn Monday afternoon, according to Laura Whitmore, Madison parks community relations coordinator.

University of Wisconsin College Democrats chair Claire Rydell said her organization sympathizes with the Obama family during this difficult time.

“During this difficult time for Sen. Obama, our thoughts for a speedy recovery for his grandmother are with him and his family.”

Obama first campaigned in Madison last October at the Monona Terrace. He also held a rally at the Kohl Center packed with 19,000 supporters on Feb. 12.