UW-Stout program waits for budget

With the Wisconsin state budget still unsettled, the University of Wisconsin-Stout has a prominent political figure working on its behalf: Rep. John Murtha, R-Baldwin.

In a letter sent last week to state Assembly speaker and Budget Conference Committee member Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, Murtha lobbied for the inclusion of a financial aid package and tuition cap to the state budget.

Both additions would serve to "ease the students' minds and allow students to concentrate on their studies," Murtha said in his letter.

UW-Stout is a major economic presence in Murtha's district, and its success is a concern for him as well as his constituents, he said in the letter.

Murtha wrote the letter to address concerns raised by UW-Stout administration that the university's needs often take a back seat to the larger UW campuses in Madison and Milwaukee.

"The University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, is vital to the economy of western Wisconsin," Murtha said in the letter. "Not only is the university a major employer in my district, but the graduates of UW-Stout become valuable members of Wisconsin's workforce and productive taxpayers."

Murtha also said UW-Stout's technological advancement has put western Wisconsin on the map as a leader in technological manufacturing and commerce.

"UW-Stout would like to pursue some very important goals, including the formation of new majors in the fields of polymer engineering and computer/electrical engineering," the letter said. "These ambitious goals require state investments and deserve full consideration at the [Budget] Conference Committee table."

According to Scott Rausch, spokesperson for Murtha, UW-Stout is asking for a more representative amount of funding.

John Murray, spokesperson for Huebsch, said the representative will take Murtha's letter into consideration.

"The speaker (Huebsch) appreciates Murtha's interest, and will take his input into consideration as the committee continues to negotiate the budget," Murray said.

Murray also said specific spending decisions are not made by Legislature but actually by the UW System Board of Regents.

But budget debates are not moving forward as Murtha would like, Rausch said.

"We should be nearing completion, and we're standing still," Rausch said. "There's a lot of partisan rhetoric — we need to work together and move forward."

Arguments over the stalled state budget have negatively affected the functions of many state programs, including the UW System.

Students attending college with the help of financial aid are unsure of their academic future, said Josh Westcott, press director for Senator Judy Robson, D-Beloit, adding there are 5,051 students at four-year campuses waiting for aid.

"Until the budget is resolved, that's 5,051 kids who are unable to pay tuition or buy textbooks," said Wescott.

The budget holdups also caused problems for the functioning of two-year campuses and the UW-Extension program, which facilitates adult education and youth outreach in every county of Wisconsin, said David Wilson, chancellor of UW-Colleges and Extensions.

Wilson said the unapproved budget has necessitated cutbacks in Wisconsin Public Radio and Television, and a moratorium on hiring at UW-Colleges.

Many students on two-year campuses are waiting for financial aid, and 871 people have been waitlisted pending budget approval, Wilson said.

"Without a budget, unfortunately, we are limiting access to a UW education," Wilson said.