Gopher athletes face rape scandal

Three University of Minnesota football players were released from jail Monday pending an investigation following accusations that the players were allegedly involved in the rape of an 18-year-old woman.

According to a release, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said the athletes — Alex Daniels, Keith Massey and E.J. Jones — were taken into custody by University of Minnesota Police Friday.

Freeman said the woman, who does not currently attend the university, told authorities the incident took place in an apartment that is part of university housing sometime late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning.

"We are working closely with the University Police on this matter and reviewed what we have so far and concluded that we need additional information if charges are to be filed," Freeman said.

Jones' attorney Jeff DeGree said he is not surprised the students were released, adding the accused athletes are not the type of kids who would be involved in such an incident.

"E.J. was a straight-A student in high school and has never been in trouble with anything before," DeGree said in an interview with The Badger Herald. "He has taken the role of athletics very seriously."

DeGree said he is satisfied with the patience and sound judgment, adding it would ultimately have no long-term impact on the campus.

Max Page, president of Minnesota Student Association, said the MSA has yet to discuss the matter and did not know to what extent the accusations were affecting Minnesota students.

"If it is true, it is very disappointing," Page said. "It is nothing we can comment on until the legal process has gone through its course."

Freeman said in the release he is unable to say when the investigation will be complete, but added the case is not being handled any differently on account of the defendants being student-athletes.

DeGree said in light of the students being let out of jail, it is uncertain as to the players' status on the football team, but added he is confident they will be "back on the field to whoop on the Badgers."

Until charges are filed, Freeman said in the release there will be no further comment to ensure the integrity of the investigation.