Bill creates Capitol ruckus in rotunda

More than 1,000 protesters circled the Capitol Rotunda Tuesday to demonstrate against legislation that would require a person to have a Social Security number or proof of legal presence in the United States in order to obtain a Wisconsin driver's license.

The protesters, carrying signs and chanting, came from all around the state to show their aversion to Assembly Bill 69.

According to its author, state Rep. Mark Pettis, R-Hertel, the bill would mandate those applying for a driver's license to have a Social Security number or present documentation proving legal presence in the U.S. before they can obtain the license as a means to beef up national security.

"It's going to meet federal law that will be implemented in 2008, that in each state you must prove you are legally here in the country before you can get a driver's license," Pettis said.

The bill would go beyond the federal mandate, known as the "Real ID Act," Pettis said, and other states, like Minnesota and Illinois, that have already tightened licensing laws in accordance.

"AB 69 goes a little bit farther, it requires the [Department of Transportation] to put the visa expiration date on the license, and the license will expire on that date," Pettis said. "If they have a visa for a year, why should we give them a license that lasts eight years?"

Though Pettis said the measure will be good for homeland security, state Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, contended the proposed law jeopardizes personal security and could lead to identity fraud.

"I'm personally apprehensive about making a person's Social Security number available to the public. If it's on a driver's license, that's making it too public," Risser said.

Additionally, Risser said the bill could also put roadway safety at risk if people who are not allowed to have drivers’ licenses due to the proposed restrictions decide to drive without a license anyway because they will not be subject to driving tests.

However, Pettis said when surrounding states cracked down on their licensing laws, people came "in vanloads" to Wisconsin to get drivers’ licenses.

Racial issues were brought into question as most of the protesters at the Capitol were Latino, and opponents of the bill say it will disenfranchise specific groups of people.

"Everyone doesn't always have a Social Security number. There are some elderly people who don't have them," Risser said. "I'm one of those people who feel drivers’ licenses should not be restricted only to citizens."

But Pettis disagreed, saying this is, and should not be, the case.

"These people protesting have turned this into a racial issue — it's about homeland security," Pettis said, adding the measure will also safeguard against election fraud.

The 19 hijackers in the Sept. 11 attacks had 60 driver's licenses, Pettis said, which were obtained in states with lax driver's licensing rules.

Pettis also said relatives of those killed in the Sept. 11 attacks are "absolutely" in support of this kind of legislation.

The legislation was passed in the state Assembly by a 62-35 vote in late September and will receive a Senate committee hearing tomorrow. Pettis pointed to the bill's earlier passage in the Assembly as an indication it will fare well in a Senate vote.

"In the Assembly, it pretty much passed in a party-line vote," Pettis said. "It looks like the Republicans want to follow the federal law, but it looks like the other side wants to give rights to illegals [sic] that they don't deserve."

Pettis said Gov. Jim Doyle has indicated he will veto the bill, Pettis said, a move which he called "disappointing."

However, Doyle will make a decision on the bill once it gets to his desk, but has made no determinations on it thus far, Doyle spokesperson Melanie Fonder said.

"The federal government has made a decision that all the states must follow," Fonder said. "But we'll have to look very carefully at AB 69 to see the effect it will have on Wisconsin. Obviously there is a lot of work to do."