ASM hears ideas about best ways to improve celebration

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]peppersprayed_dm_400[/media-credit]The Associated Students of Madison Halloween 2004 Committee hosted a “Saving Halloween Open Forum” Wednesday night, allowing students to describe their experiences on Halloween and offer their opinions of what should change in future celebrations.

Caroline Simon, an intern for the ASM Halloween Committee, said input from students is important for the planning process.

“The main purpose of the meeting was brainstorming and to get feedback from students,” Simon said.

The committee believes Halloween and ASM’s planning were a success. However, due to fires and damage on State Street and the police’s use of pepper spray, the committee is gathering input from students, State Street storeowners and the Madison Police Department on how to improve the annual event.

Matt Rink, the summer campaign chair, emphasized Halloween’s successful aspects.

“We accomplished everything we wanted to,” Rink said. “The daytime activities went well for the citizens. Everyone really liked the food and hopes it can be extended into next year.”

Students offered varying opinions during the meeting, discussing topics like the use of lights on State Street, the use of pepper spray and the overwhelming presence of out-of-town visitors.

Many students suggested having well-known bands perform in Library Mall or at Camp Randall, eliminating bar time and publicizing that the penalties for rioting could prevent rowdy behavior.

Some cited the 1982 Halloween as a riot-free example in which 100,000 people visited State Street and the student government hosted a party with alcohol and entertainment. Others suggested the UW look for ideas in other cities that host large-scale events, such as New Orleans’ Mardi Gras.

Despite minimal damage on State Street, some students said they believe Halloween could be improved.

Samantha Milin, a UW sophomore, said police actions were too extreme.

“I was pepper-sprayed on Halloween simply for being on State Street,” Milin said. “I would have understood it if I was doing something wrong, but I wasn’t.”

Scott Peitzer, a UW law student who also attended the open forum, said the actions the police took on Halloween could elicit lawsuits.

Although Peitzer is still gathering evidence, he believes it is possible to file suits against individual police officers for civil battery for excessive force and civil action for deprivation of rights.

“I heard uncountable stories of people being maliciously brutalized,” Peitzer said. “There is no excuse, people have a right to not be mistreated.”

Peitzer hopes the threat of lawsuits will change police actions in the future.

“People were not lawfully arrested and yet they were being attacked. The suit would force a more balanced mid-ground,” Peitzer said.

The ASM Halloween Committee will continue to meet weekly with students, administration and the MPD in an effort to bring back the true spirit of Madison Halloween.