Libertarian candidate touts platform

[media-credit name=’AJ Maclean’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Badnarik_AM_400[/media-credit]Libertarian presidential candidate Michael Badnarik visited the University of Wisconsin campus Wednesday to promote his platform and lead a discussion on the government and the U.S. Constitution.

A small group of students, faculty and Madison community members gathered in the Red Gym to listen to Badnarik discuss libertarian views on a number of topics, from the U.S. Patriot Act to the war in Iraq.

Badnarik, a constitutional scholar, author and teacher, claimed he is “not your typical politician.”

With a campaign motto of “lighting the fires of liberty, one heart at a time,” Badnarik said he appeals to those who fully support the Constitution and the principles of the founding fathers.

“The political spectrum is not linear,” Badnarik said. “[The Libertarian party] has some liberal views and some conservative views. Liberals support personal, but not economic freedom; Republicans support economic, but not personal freedom.”

Libertarians believe in both, he added.

Personal freedom is not a privilege of the government, but is a right, supported by the Constitution, Badnarik said, adding most of what the government does is unconstitutional.

Badnarik, who believes the Patriot Act “blatantly” violates the Fourth Amendment, questioned the audience about the constitutionality of throwing an individual in jail without an indictment, without a phone call and without a lawyer.

“This turns our principle of innocent until proven guilty upside down, and Americans should be outraged,” Badnarik said.

He also mentioned today’s airport security procedures as another violation of the Constitution.

“How far are we going to let the government go?” he said. “Airport security doesn’t do a thing to make you safer.”

Libertarians generally agree the war in Iraq is a failure and something the U.S. should have never initiated.

Badnarik, while saying citizens have every right and responsibility to protect American lives, said attacking a nebulous target in a country that had no connection to Sept. 11 and no weapons of mass destruction was not the proper response.

“We are increasing the threat of terrorism with Bush in office,” Badnarik said. “If I am elected as president, I will bring our sons and daughters home as quickly as possible.”

Kathleen Nichols, a UW senior majoring in theatre and communication arts, agreed with much of Badnarik’s platforms.

“I agree with most libertarian views, however, I recognize that voting for a libertarian candidate probably wont have any effect on getting Bush out of the office, which is my priority in this upcoming election,” she said. “But it is of utmost importance to stand up to the amount of power the government has and I plan to do that in the future.”

Several individuals in the audience questioned Badnarik about whether their vote would be “wasted” if they voted libertarian this election. Badnarik addressed the questions, citing problems with today’s two-party system of only Republicans and Democrats.

“We selected Miss America from 50 people, why don’t we [select] the president from this many? Isn’t the United States all about making choices?”

He said voting for the Libertarian party helps one make individual choices.

“Libertarians trust you to make your own decisions,” Badnarik said. “If you believe that it’s not the government’s job to make decisions for you, then you are a libertarian at heart.”