New ticket lottery off to bumpy start

Dan Ginsburg is a die-hard fan of the University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team.

He’s traveled to away games. He hasn’t missed a home game in the last four seasons. And he’s even camped out for more than five weeks to grab the best seats in the Kohl Center.

But the days of sitting in the front rows at the Badger basketball games could be over for the UW senior.

Ginsburg was one of many UW students affected Thursday by complications in a newly-launched lottery ticket system.

According to Steve Malchow, associate athletic director of the UW Athletic Department, the university sent out a mass e-mail Thursday to alert students whether they received tickets for the upcoming season. The e-mail also included information regarding when students could begin waiting in line, which was 9 a.m. Thursday.

But not all who were supposed to receive the notification did, Ginsburg said. Some students got the e-mail earlier than others, while some were not notified at all.

When Ginsburg had not heard from the department late Thursday, he contacted the ticket office. Much to his surprise, the office claimed they had no records to confirm he ordered tickets.

“It’s frustrating just because I’ve been a fan from the beginning,” Ginsburg said. “I’ve followed this team from the day I got here.”

The Athletic Department did not give students advance notice of whether they had won tickets through the lottery process, according to Ginsburg.

UW senior Amy Tully also did not receive a confirmatory e-mail from the Athletic Department Thursday.

She contacted the ticket office about her ticket status, an inquiry that was greeted with a “not-so-friendly” response, she said. The e-mail confirmed that she had tickets, but offered no additional information.

Both Ginsburg and Tully said they heard from multiple people Thursday who experienced similar complications.

They said they were disappointed they will not get the front-row seats they’ve held in the past as a result of the mix-up.

“There’s a line growing [outside the Kohl Center] … and a very unknown number of people who don’t know this is going on,” Tully said.

She said it’s unfair those unaffected by the glitch were the first in line, and thus will receive the best seats.

Malchow said Thursday night he was not aware of the complications, but said that “3,000 e-mails cannot go out at the same time.”

The number of ticket requests exceeded the total available spots, he added.

Malchow could not offer any information about how the Athletic Department will handle the situation.