Whitewater mourns over student’s death

Ray Woods was more than a friend to James Hayes — he was a brother.

The 21-year-old University of Wisconsin-Whitewater student, who Hayes described as “the most amazing person to be around,” died Sunday.

Hayes discovered Woods, his college roommate and friend since freshman year of high school, unconscious Sunday, according to Channel 3000 news. He was pronounced dead upon arrival at Fort Atkinson Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for dehydration Saturday evening.

Many members of the UW-Whitewater community gathered Tuesday evening to remember Woods in a memorial service.

“It was a great turnout, more than we expected,” Hayes said, noting there were not enough seats for all in attendance. “We didn’t know how many people Ray touched.”

The death came as a shock to his friends and family, Hayes said, but they are banding together to remember Woods, who he considered a positive and outgoing person.

“The pain is temporary, but the memories will last forever,” he added.

Woods carried a positive energy, Hayes said, which is why he was drawn to him.

“He was like my brother. I don’t call him a friend; I call him a brother,” the UW-Whitewater junior said. “‘If I eat, we all eat.’ That was his favorite saying because he was such a giving person,” Hayes said.

Hayes said the cause of Woods’ death was uncertain as of Tuesday evening. He was not sure whether investigators have any clues over the death.

Woods was suffering from nausea, headaches and dizziness Sunday, Channel 3000 news reported.