UW-Milwaukee students shop for professors via Pick-A-Prof

Students at certain colleges across are the nation are putting the Internet to use for more than just chatting online, e-mailing and doing research. Now, some universities are offering websites with evaluations of professors, a service that has received mixed feelings from administrations.

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, for example, uses a system called Pick-a-Prof, paid for by student fees. With this service, students are able to review both rated and written evaluations of professors contributed by past students.

Ray Duncan, academic association director of the student association at UWM, says this service is geared toward “freshmen and international students that don’t have a lot of information on courses and professors.”

UWM has used Pick-a-Prof since December 2002. At its start, some officials and administration at the university who were not in favor of the website predicted an onslaught of negative comments on the site, but the case turned out to be the opposite.

“We found that 80 percent of the evaluations were positive — that is to say, the professors were rated a four or five on a five point scale,” Duncan said.

By accessing the site, students are able to see answers to questions about courses and professors such as workload, teaching style and types of assignments, along with qualitative and quantitative evaluations of professors.

Some professors have expressed a dislike for the website, but the service continues because it is protected by the right of students to access evaluations.

UWM Assistant Professor in the School of Business Administration Paul Ambrose sees both good and bad sides to services such as Pick-a-Prof.

“It’s a good idea, but it’s important to look at it with context. It differs whether the class is a mass lecture or a graduate course,” he said.

Ambrose thinks the online service is a great idea for students if used effectively, but said it may shed negative light on professors.

“Before, it was more difficult to access records, and now that they are online it makes some professors uncomfortable. Now they are very public,” Ambrose said.

Since UWM began using Pick-a-Prof, Duncan says one of the main negative results is dealing with university officials and their feelings on the service.

“Working with the faculty and administration [is a disadvantage], even though the student association has the right to do this,” Duncan said.

Duncan and the student association are now working together with the university to use PantherProf, a program similar to their current one, but with an added feature that allows input from both students and faculty.

UW-Madison doesn’t employ such a program, but Associated Students of Madison offers a course evaluation link on their website. It gives a quantitative look at all courses available at the UW, but is only available after ASM gets evaluations from all of the departments. Right now, evaluations only up to spring 2003 are offered, and no written evaluations are offered.