UW officials concerned about students abroad

In the midst of war, the University of Wisconsin has increased security measures to protect the hundreds of students currently studying abroad at more than 40 countries. Six hundred and fifty UW students are enrolled in study-abroad programs around the world.

International Academic Programs officials have said that no specific threats have been made to UW students. However, officials noted that concern for the safety of American students abroad often increases during times of war and world tension.

Even with increased security measures, IAP is not planning on closing programs or ending programs early due to military action. The safety of the areas in which students are enrolled will continue to be closely monitored.

“Our top priority is always the safety of our students,” said Joan Raducha, director of IAP, in a recent release. “We have reviewed our safety procedures, tested our plans to contact students in the event of an emergency and continue to remind students of the importance of staying alert to potentially dangerous situations and to take measures to avoid them.”

Safety procedures have been in review throughout the semester at the IAP office. In addition, it has tested its own communications channels for contacting students and program sites and has urged students abroad to pay special attention to their own personal safety at all times.

The main directions given to students overseas are to keep a low profile, speak the local language whenever possible and avoid demonstrations and heated conversations.

According to Raducha, IAP is making sure to relay information about the political and safety conditions to students overseas to keep the students informed, deepen their understanding of the situation and address their concerns.

An e-mail message was sent Thursday, March 20 to the 650 students studying abroad in order to update the students regarding the current situation.

“We will make every attempt to keep students alert to the circumstances around them,” Raducha said.

“IAP is dedicated to maintaining the personal safety and security for each of our study abroad participants,” reads the group’s website. “Our security office takes necessary precaution, remains in close contact with the program staff and will work with them in case of an emergency.”

A complete list of additional safety precautions for students studying abroad to take to take in times of political and social unrest or conflict can be found at www.wisc.edu/studyabroad/. The site will be updated as new information becomes available.