Poll shows Doyle in lead for Democratic primary

Despite recent allegations that his aid campaigned on state time, Attorney General Jim Doyle has a small lead over his fellow Democratic opponents in the approaching primary election, according to a new poll.

The survey, conducted by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, shows Doyle has the support of 31.5 percent of voters. Fifteen percent of voters polled have not decided whom to vote for in the election, and 2.8 percent would not give a preference.

U.S. Rep. Tom Barrett has the support of 25.7 percent of voters, while Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk trails with 25.1 percent.

Doyle’s campaign said this poll shows he is the only Democratic candidate that can face incumbent Gov. Scott McCallum.

“This poll reinforces what we have always said — that this primary race would tighten up near the general election, but Jim Doyle will win and beat Scott McCallum in the general election,” said Susan Goodman, Doyle’s campaign manager. “The people of Wisconsin are ready for a change and are concluding Jim Doyle is the one who will bring real change.”

A spokesman for Falk’s campaign said the poll results show the candidate picking up significant voter support from across the state.

Tom Russell, campaign manager for Falk, said she is the only candidate offering concrete solutions.

“Voters are getting excited about the race, and they’re finding out Kathleen Falk is the only candidate out there offering real solutions,” he said. “With under ten days left, it’s hard to deny she’s the one people are interested in.”

Attempts to contact the Barrett campaign regarding the poll numbers were unsuccessful.

The Democratic campaign turned sour recently when Republicans claimed Doyle aid JoAnna Richard campaigned on state time. Although Doyle has denied the claims, the charges are being investigated in Dane and Milwaukee counties.

Republican Party of Wisconsin Chair Rick Graber said Doyle should give a detailed explanation of schedules and phone records that could be seen as misconduct.

“The charges we have leveled are credible and convincing,” Graber said. “The fact that Jim Doyle is relying on campaign operatives to pump out a smokescreen of name-calling and spin-control strongly suggests he has no way to defend this conduct.”

Graber has also criticized Doyle’s spin on the investigation, as well as his involvement in other caucus probes.

“Jim Doyle’s continued involvement in investigating and prosecuting the exact same behavior that those in his office have engaged in is both stunningly hypocritical and a true conflict of interest,” Graber said. “The integrity of the caucus probe is questionable if Doyle is not willing to remove himself from the process and fully own up to the conduct of his top aides.”

In a letter to Doyle, Democratic hopeful Barrett said the investigation into misuse of public funds is a public concern.

“The public must have confidence in any criminal investigation, but this one more than most,” Barrett wrote. Barrett suggested that because of his awareness of Richard’s involvement, Doyle should remove himself from investigation into the case.

Doyle was unavailable for comment on the issue.

Falk has remained uninvolved with the issue.