Feingold run for president unlikely

As U.S. Senator Russ Feingold, D-Wis., tours college campuses around the country, many begin to wonder if this is an early sign of a run for the Democratic nomination for president in 2004.

On his tour, Feingold urged students to fight for their civil liberties and called for a more progressive Democratic party, but he has said there is little chance he would extend his leadership of such a movement by running for president.

“I am unlikely to run,” Feingold said. “The odds are about one in 100, but I haven’t ruled it out yet. I am up for reelection in 2004 and I like the job I have now, but there are people who are urging me to run for president.”

Feingold said supporting another candidate would be a more viable option.

“I would prefer to support someone else,” Feingold said. “If no one addresses the issues at all, it is more tempting.”

The direct effect Ralph Nader and the Green Party’s platform had on Democratic nominee Al Gore in the 2000 presidential election has made a more progressive candidate attractive to the Democratic Party, Feingold said.

“I’m not mad at the Greens. I think they’re great,” Feingold said. “I think the nomination is more open now than ever because we don’t have Clinton or Gore as our nominees. People want a more progressive candidate, and some think I might be that person.”

Feingold said there are some issues he believes the Democratic Party has been overlooking, including fair trade, the death penalty, racial profiling, and campaign finance.

“These issues get a huge response in younger people,” he said. “The major political parties don’t see the tremendous potential [in young people] and progressive issues.”

There is potential for Feingold to run, but his top issues may not transfer to the national political realm, UW-Madison political science professor Charles Franklin said.

“It’s perfectly viable at this point,” Franklin said. “It’s a temptation for all U.S. senators to test the presidential waters. I’m just not convinced that campaign-finance reform is large enough.”

While many see a run for president as a possibility, others do not.

“I think he is putting his toe in the water,” State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison said. “But in the end I think it is unlikely that he will run.”

If he chooses to run, he will have the support of some Wisconsin leaders.

“We are very proud of Russ and his leadership,” U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis, said. “He’s part of a lineage of progressive mavericks from Wisconsin. He would bring honest debate on issues many politicians prefer to avoid.”

Rep. Bonnie Ladwig, R-Racine, said if Feingold ran, Wisconsin would benefit.

“It would be exciting to have somebody from Wisconsin running,” she said. “Wisconsin has frequently been ignored, but by having a representative from our state, this could bring many candidates here campaigning. Although, as a Republican, I would still be voting for President Bush.”