Hump Day tackles porn use, penile fractures, more

Hey, Hump Day readers. I don’t know about you all, but I can already tell what my favorite class is going to be this semester: Gender and Reproductive and Sexual Health. I am feeling inspired.

Lately I’m not as turned on by having sex with my girlfriend. She’s amazingly sexy, but my dick just doesn’t get as hard anymore and sometimes I can’t get it up at all with her. BUT I can still get aroused when I jerk it to porn. A friend told me this can happen when you watch too much porn. Is that true?

Let me start by saying that there are a number of issues that can lead to lowered sexual libido or situation-specific boner loss that may have nothing to do with your porn use. Obviously maintaining an adequate and healthy amount of sleep, nutrition and exercise is important, as is stress management.

But yes, porn-induced erectile dysfunction is a newly emerging topic of study in the field of psychology and human sexuality. Online sexual health forums for men are blowing up with hundreds of threads and comments on your exact concern, so you’re definitely not alone.

A recent article in Psychology Today explained the science behind this dopamine desensitization. With today’s instant access to increasingly extreme material on the web, we can spend hours of exposure to hardcore scenes without ever coming down from “dopamine spikes” – fast-forwarding to the cumshots, having a live webcam browser open on the side, loading multiple videos. Frankly, and frighteningly, it can all just make real life sex seem vanilla.

The recommended prescription for treatment: abstaining from porn for about 6-12 weeks. Once you can fully fill your cock with blood by pure touch again – no porn or fantasy required – you should be recovered, at least for now. Let me be clear, I’m a mega proponent of porn. But everything in moderation, my dear.

What are the most common STIs on campus? 

HPV, chlamydia and herpes. University Health Services sees three, three and one new cases, respectively, of each from students every week. And that doesn’t even count the students who don’t know they have it or get diagnosed at their private family health care providers.

HPV is pretty prevalent in general. It is often referred to as the “common cold” of sexually transmitted infections. More than 80 percent of women will have or have had HPV by the time they reach age 50 and at least half of all sexually men are infected. But it does not always present any symptoms, and normally the immune system works it right out without the person ever knowing they have it.

Chlamydia is especially important for reproductive health. It is the leading cause of infertility in American women. This is because an untreated case of chlamydia can make its way up into the reproductive tract and cause scarring in the fallopian tubes, which is the site of fertilization. Fortunately, chlamydia is entirely curable and many clinics have implemented opt-out testing strategies, meaning they will test you automatically unless you decline.

I’ve heard there is a time of the month that girls are especially likely to get pregnant. Is that true? And if it is, please tell me so I can avoid it.

Yes, it is totally true. It’s called the fertility window and it coincides with ovulation, the time when a ripe egg matures and pops out of the ovary. Avoid the five days leading up to and the actual day of ovulation, which is day 14 of a standard 28 day cycle, day one being the first day of the period. But here’s the tricky part – most people who menstruate do not actually have regular cycles. So unless they are tracking it every month (there’s an app for that) there’s no foolproof way to know.

I’m a female in my early 20s. When do I need to start doing kegel exercises? 

There is not really a need to do kegel exercises. They are usually recommended for female-bodied people later in life, especially in preparation for childbearing or in the early stages of a prolapsed uterus of bladder. Those are conditions in which gravity is not kind and the organs start falling out of the body. Do not Google image search.

However, you might want to consider starting just to improve the intensity and length of orgasms. You can easily do kegels by pretending to lift weights with your vagina. Squeeze, hold and release the muscles you would use to stop peeing. Do a few sets of these throughout the day – in class, while walking, wherever! You can also purchase a set of kegel balls and literally play tug of war with your body.

Is it true that you can break your penis? 

Yup. The technical term is a penile fracture. It is pretty rare, but also pretty painful. If you do happen to break your penis, you will definitely know it.

You’ll hear a loud popping noise, lose your boner right away, and be able to see your penis instantly start bruising like a peach. So you should pretty much go to the hospital right away because this can cause a permanent curve and even erectile dysfunction. Any guesses as to the most common sex position that leads to penile fractures? Woman-on-top. In 2005, a dude actually tried to sue his ex-girlfriend for breaking his dick by riding him too hard. He lost.

Sam’s favorite topic in the whole wide world is sexual and reproductive health. Give Sam and Amie some more sugar at [email protected].